Voter Information

The election for City Commission, Mayor, the Human Rights Ordinance, a handful of Charter Amendments and a Schools millage renewal will be held on Tuesday, November 5th, 2013.  Keep in mind that in order to participate in this election, you must be registered to vote 30 days prior to the election.

You can visit the State of Michigan’s Voter Information Center to check your registration status, learn where and when you vote, to see a sample ballot or to download the Absentee Ballot application.

Alternatively, you can follow these steps below which are based on information from the City of Royal Oak’s website.

If you have any questions beyond what I have listed below, please call the Royal Oak City Clerk at (248) 246-3050.  They have a friendly and knowledgeable staff that will be able to answer all of your questions.

You can view a Sample Ballot by clicking here.

I want to vote!  Where do I go?

You can click here to view a map of Royal Oak’s voting precincts.  On this map, you can zoom into your street to determine your precinct number.  Then, scroll down to page 2 of the map to determine your polling location.

I will be out of town on Election Day.  Can I still vote?

Just because you are out of town on Election Day, does not mean that you can’t vote in this election.  Absentee ballots are available for those who meet any of the following criteria:

  • you are unable to vote without assistance;
  • you are 60 years of age or older;
  • you expect to be absent from your city or township on election day;
  • you are in jail, awaiting arraignment or trial;
  • you have been assigned to work as a precinct worker in a precinct other than where you are registered; or
  • you are unable to attend the polls because of religious beliefs.

To request an absentee ballot, visit the City Clerk’s website to download a Ballot Request Application.  The Clerk will mail you your ballot in late September or early October.  Keep in mind that the ballot must be returned to the clerk by the end of Election Day – it will not count if they do not receive it by the time polls close.  So, if you have an absentee ballot but can’t return it in time, then you can visit the City Clerk on Election Day and the weekend before with your ballot to vote.

How do I register to vote?  How do I change my voting address?

Do you live in Royal Oak but are not yet registered to vote?  Don’t worry!  As long as you are registered to vote by 30 days before the election, you will be able to vote.  To register or to change your address, click here to visit the City Clerk’s website for Voter Registration.

Once you print and fill out the form, you can return it to the City Clerk by mail or in person to:

Royal Oak City Clerk
211 Williams St, PO Box 64
Royal Oak, MI 48068-0064

One thing to keep in mind when registering – if you register by mail, then you may not vote absentee in your first election.  If you register in person (i.e. take the form into the City Clerk), then you are eligible to vote absentee if you meet any of the criteria listed above.


[updated Saturday, September 21, 2013]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s